The Board of Trustees is pleased to provide you with the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday September 6, 2011. The adopted minutes will be available on this website following the next Regular Board meeting.
Upcoming Trustee Activities:
- The Board of Trustees and Senior Executive will be participating in a Video Conference session hosted by Alberta School Board Association. The theme of the session is “Should you ever close the door on your public?”
- The five members of the Board of Trustees will be attending a one day session “ Governance matters for school Boards,” sponsored by the Public School Boards’ Association to be held in Nisku, Alberta.
- Chair Gilchrist provided a Board Chair’s report, some of the highlights are:
- Provided highlights on the Canadian Association of School Administrators Conference that he attended in July 2011. It was a positive learning experience.
- The Board of Trustees accepted as information the “Year-end School Council Report” from Keephills School and Stony Plain Central School.
- The Board of Trustees directed the Board Chair to submit a letter of proclamation, to the local paper, in recognition for World Teacher Day, October 5, 2011.
- The Board of Trustees have received letters of thanks from the Living Water Catholic Schools and the Slave Lake Koinonia Christian School.
- Superintendent Monds gave a report on the projects and learning opportunities that he and Senior Executive have participated with over the summer.
- Highlights from the Canadian Association of School Administrator Conference that he and members from the Future Planning Team attended in July.
- Highlights of the College of Alberta School Superintendents Summer Conference held in August.
- There were a number of orientations and meetings held in August, for example: New Teacher Orientation, New Administrator Orientation, Lead Team Breakfast and the Division Professional Development Opening Day session for all staff.
- The start of new technical projects such as a PSD Twitter account and the “184 Voices, 184 Stories” Project.
- All staff gathered August 30 at Memorial Composite High School to start the 2011-2012 school year off. Superintendent gave opening remarks and John Clark did the keynote address.
- PSD Blogs, Superintendent Speech, and our Twitter Feed can be found as popular topics on out home page.
- The Board was pleased to approve the motion to donate $1500.00, in support of schools affected by the Slave Lake fire of 2011, to the three School Divisions. This includes: High Prairie School Division No. 48, Living Waters Catholic Schools No. 42 and Slave Lake Koinonia Christian School.
- The Board approved the 2011-2012 Preliminary Budget for Parkland School Division. Although the school division is facing a deficit, funds will be transferred from reserves to offer a balanced budget for the 2011-2012 school year.
- The Board approved the Division’s draft 2011-2014 Three Year and 2010-2011 Annual Education Results Report. The report will be brought forward to the Board in November 2011 for final approval, once the results from the Provincial and Diploma exams are released.
- The Board reviewed and approved the draft Board Meeting Schedule for the next three years.
- Approved the monthly Financial Report ending July 31, 2011.
- Approved Policy 19 – Surplus Land and Buildings.
- Received as information the Summer Work Facilities Report. Mr. Paras gave a summary of work accomplished over the summer by Facilities over the summer.
- Received as information a report on Learning Coaches. Ms. Keane talked about the expectations, skills, and roles of Learning Coaches in Parkland School Division. This will be a two year project with extensive cognitive training for the first year and then implementing the skills into the schools.
- Received as information minutes from various Committees including:
- Teacher / Board Advisory Committee
- Spruce Grove Joint Use Committee
The Organizational Meeting will be held October 4, 2011 at 6pm at the Centre for Education.
Next Regular Board Meeting will be held on October 04, 2011 at 7:00 pm Centre for Education
For more information contact:
The Board of Trustees
Toll Free: 1-800-282-3997 (Alberta only)