Located in the heart of Spruce Grove, Brookwood School serves approximately 550 students from Kindergarten to Grade 4. Designed in 1970 as an open area school, Brookwood School promotes a friendly and caring learning environment, where a high level of cooperation is nurtured amongst students and staff.
Brookwood School offers a strong academic program. Our students continue to be recognized for their academic achievements. Brookwood has many programs of interest and choice. For example, we offer a Student Leadership team, as well as a choir, a drama club and a Spirit Team. We have several programs serving the needs of students with mild and moderate learning needs. We endeavour to be responsive to the needs of students.
Unique Features of Our School
- Staff and parents of Brookwood are committed to working together as a Professional Learning Community, implementing a culture of “sustained school improvement efforts”. The collaborative team embraces the fundamental purpose of school, which is, “learning for all students”.
- Our school-based Professional Learning Community is working in partnership with other Spruce Grove “Early Years” schools (Millgrove School and Parkland Village) in collaborative Grade Level Professional Learning Communities, called Tri-School PLC’s.
- Brookwood is designed as an open concept facility. The result is an inviting culture which promotes teamwork by students, staff and parent volunteers.
- Brookwood staff works hard to offer many program opportunities for our children. These include curricular, extracurricular and citizenship development programs.
- Brookwood has an active group of parent volunteers averaging about 5000 hours per year in volunteer time to the school. Our School Council actively promotes a number of programs to support the students of Brookwood and their learning, including Tel-a-pal, Hot Lunch, cultural events and so on.
- We are a leader in the area of technology. Teachers actively engage students in technology projects, which offer many opportunities for students to engage in a variety of technology projects using computers, SMART Boards and other technologies.
How We Define Student Success
At Brookwood, our primary purpose is to provide quality-learning opportunities to enhance the growth and potential of each child. When we see students developing competence and confidence, we are proud of their successes. In general, we define student success as growth and learning. More specifically we look to see if students are meeting grade level curriculum expectations, as well as displaying qualities of good citizenship.
Brookwood is a "Nut-Aware" School
Medical Danger - Severe Allergic Reactions
Some of our students have life-threatening allergies to nuts. The only way to ensure a safe environment for these children is to make our school Nut-Aware. To do this we need everyone's co-operation.
Please check the ingredients of all foods your children bring to school. Coconut is not a nut and does not pose any risk.
In a classroom setting, cross-contamination is one of the greatest risks for someone with this type of allergy. Cross-contamination is when a few crumbs from one child's snack are dropped and then touched by an allergic child. Even a small amount can cause a reaction or even kill.
It is difficult at the best of times to get children to eat healthy snacks, however, we hope you will appreciate the seriousness of this condition and that you will assist us at the school in our efforts to create as safe an environment as possible. With your co-operation we can minimize the risk of an allergic reaction.
For more information contact: