Excellent Teaching [TL.ET]
Teachers and leaders design, deliver and share purposeful, essential, relevant and authentic teaching and assessment practices to promote student achievement.
Exploring the Context
Stakeholders have expressed that they would like to see the best opportunities for learning provided in any school applied to each and every school. This assurance element provides trust and confidence that our schools and school communities are engaged in learning from each other.
Alternative Context: Ongoing Pandemic
During the spring cancellation of classes in 2020, our PSD teachers significantly increased the collaborative opportunities between schools. School staff engaged in Google Meets (digital, virtual meetings) to share and discuss strategies for remote learning deployment. The demands of the class cancellation due to the pandemic brought about systemic changes that will continue to support teacher development and lesson delivery, regardless of the future impact of the pandemic and potential for future class cancellation.
Avenues for Development
School staff members are perceived, through assurance measures, as exemplifying confidence in lesson delivery. Learning continues to be differentiated in a manner that best suits each learner. Teacher preparation, collaboration and professional growth are centered on the design of quality learning with respect to literacy and numeracy, and the competencies needed to help students learn.
Schools will explore:
- Implementing common literacy and numeracy benchmarking across the Division;
- Implementing and developing common assessments, beginning with Mathematics in the middle years to provide exemplars of quality assessments;
- Continuing First Steps in Mathematics training and Mathology pilots as a means to providing teachers with the ability to diagnose and response to student gaps in numeracy and mathematical conceptual understanding;
- Implementing common, effective intervention strategies;
- Triangulating evidence of learning (product, observations and conversations);
- Using formative and summative assessment data responsively (short-term, medium-term and long-term cycles) to inform feedback and intervention strategies;
- Continuing to utilize online learning platforms and the system implemented gradebook to communicate achievement with students and parents; and
- Implementing a standards-based Kindergarten report card through PowerSchool.
As we attend to this Assurance Element, stakeholders see consistent, excellent application of teaching practices across all schools. Great ideas are shared to ensure that all of our students benefit from excellent teaching, regardless of the school in which they are enrolled.
Staff assurance measures indicate that staff are supported in efforts to collaborate and develop competency in lesson delivery that promotes increased achievement.
Accountability Measures note the following:
- Increased achievement with literacy and numeracy benchmarks, provincial assessments and school awarded marks;
- Increased parent and student perception of quality learning through APORI measures;
- Improved High School Completion Rates; and/or
- Year-over-year growth in Rutherford Scholarships.