Early Education Program
Parkland School Division’s Early Education Program has had to review and remodel programming in response to the new 2020-2021 Alberta Education Funding Framework and the Special Education Coding Criteria 2020-2021. It is Parkland School Division’s goal to provide the best learning environment to support our youngest learners.
Our Early Education classrooms provide extensive play-based programming, enriched with specialized supports for children identified as having a severe delay or diagnosis between the ages of 2 years 8 months and 4 years 8 months as of September 1, 2020. Programming is also available for children between the ages of 3 years 8 months and 4 years 8 months as of September 1, 2020 with mild to moderate delays.
Play Partners, those children with no identified delays, will not be eligible for the Early Education Program. In September 2020, we will be conducting a screen for those families that have identified concerns about the development of their child, to determine eligibility for the program.
Universal, targeted and individual programming is delivered in high quality Early Education settings throughout the school division. These schools include:
Each Early Education classroom has a team of professionals dedicated to meet the individual needs of all children. Embedded programming is provided through consultation with therapy teams. This team consists of:
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Educational Psychologist
- Physical Therapist
- Speech Language Assistants
Please note changes in transportation service for Early Education students (effective September 2020):
- No Early Education busing
- Parent-provided transportation funding available for students who:
- Live 2.4km away from the school they will attend
- Meet coding eligibility and attendance requirements
How Do Children Enter the Program?
The eligibility criteria for special needs grants is outlined by Alberta Education and is based on information and assessments provided by a Family Physician / Developmental Pediatrician, Speech Language Pathologist, Occupational / Physical Therapist and/or a Registered Psychologist.
The following criteria determine eligibility. Children must be:
- At least 2 years, 8 months old, but less than 4 years, 8 months old by September 1st
- Have a severe developmental delay or diagnosis OR
- Have a severe speech and language delay OR
- Have a mild to moderate delay
Families are encouraged to contact the Early Education Program Services at the Centre for Education in Stony Plain with questions regarding developmental concerns and eligibility for program placements.
Principles of the Early Education Program
- Parents are the child's first teachers and our partners in programming.
- Programming is developmentally appropriate and based on best pedagogy in Early Childhood Education. Learning opportunities are embedded in daily activities.
- Programming occurs in the natural environments of the child - at home, in the community and in the school.
- Each child has a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) developed by the learning team including parents, educator(s), and other professional staff as appropriate to the child's specific needs.
- Evidence-based instruction and interventions support the pedagogy of Early Childhood Education.
- Communication and collaboration facilitate supportive transitions into school-age programming.
For more information contact:
Early Childhood Services