Regular Board Meeting Highlights - October 8, 2019
October 8, 2019 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, October 8, 2019. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board deferred a vote on the revised Board Policy 10: Policy Formation and Review to the Regular Board Meeting November 5, 2019. The Board is guided in its approach to policy making and must ensure it follows requirements necessary to provide public education while complying with provincial and federal legislation as well as the Education Act which came into effect September 1, 2019.
- The Board approved the amended and revised Board Policy 15: School Closures. The changes are to carry out the Board's mandate to regularly review policy within specific intervals and comply with the administration of policy and legislation in Administrative Procedures. This will also make sure that the policy aligns with the new Education Act. This will be posted once the discussed amendments are made to the document and signed by the Board Chair and Superintendent.
- The Board approved the Superintendent to conduct a viability study for Seba Beach School to be completed and presented at the Regular Meeting of November 26, 2019.
- The Board received as information the Communications Report as presented by Director of Communications & Strategic Planning, Jordi Weidman.
- The Board received as information the 2019 - 2020 Enrolment Report as presented by Associate Superintendent, Scott McFadyen. The September 30th enrolment count for the 2019-2020 school year is 11,577. This is an increase of 293 students or 2.6% over the 2018-2019 school year.
- The Board received as information the Accountability Pillar Results Report as presented by Associate Superintendent, Scott Johnston.
- The Board received as information the Community Partnership Report as presented by Director of School and Community Services, Brenda Stumbur.
- The Board voted on a recommendation to draft and send a letter to the Minister of Education advocating for the inclusion of the word 'Public' in the legal name of public school divisions in Alberta in response to recent provincial legislation striking the word 'Public' from 8 out of 41 Alberta public school divisions.